Trichomoniasis Test Details
Trichomoniasis (or trich for short) is a very common STD with varying symptoms – or none at all. Trich is actually the most common curable STD, caused by a protozoan parasite spread through unprotected sex. It most commonly affects the lower genital tract in women (vulva, vagina, cervix, or urethra), and within the urethra in men. It rarely infects other parts of the body, such as the hands, mouth, or anus.
If left untreated, the biggest risk with having trich is that it increases your risk of getting or spreading other STDs, including HIV, due to the possible genital inflammation it causes. Also, women who are pregnant and have trichomoniasis are more likely to deliver early and the babies are more likely to have a low birth weight.
The Everlywell trichomoniasis test specifically screens for the infection causing parasite, Trichomonas vaginalis. Shipping is pre-paid both ways and the test is delivered in discreet packaging, with results sent directly to your phone or computer from the secure Everlywell platform.
Taking the trich test requires a simple urine sample, so the test is easy and pain-free. Each test includes detailed directions to help guide you, and you’ll also receive access to a customer care team along the way to help with any questions you may have.
Results are easy to understand, and you are provided with additional resources and helpful tips throughout the process. If your results are abnormal, you have the option to connect with the Everlywell physician network at no additional cost to discuss next steps. Your results are also shared in a printable format if you decide to take them to your own primary care physician.
Everlywell only uses CLIA-certified labs, meaning they meet high standards in order to obtain both state and federal certifications and are subject to regular inspections.
What the Everlywell Trichomoniasis Test Measures and How it Works
The Everlywell trichomoniasis test screens for the presence of the specific, STD-causing parasite. If you receive positive or abnormal results, you will have the opportunity to connect with Everlywell’s independent physician network and potentially receive treatment, or you can take your results to your physician for treatment and diagnosis.
For those who contract trich, symptoms may or may not appear. Should symptoms appear, they will typically occur within 3 to 28 days after exposure. Before testing, wait until at least 5 days after exposure. For the most accurate results, if you are not experiencing any symptoms, you may decide to wait to test until 2 weeks after initial exposure, but it’s important to refrain from any sexual activity during that timeframe.
When you decide to order your at-home trichomoniasis test, you simply do so online and it will be shipped directly to you in discreet packaging. You will then need to register your test online with your unique ID and follow the instructions to collect your sample. Once collected, you will use the pipette to place the sample into a transport tube, then place it into the provided biohazard bag. Place this bag into the shipping envelope, apply the prepaid label, and ship it back to the lab for testing.
After analysis, you will be notified when results are ready. If results return abnormal, you can connect with Everlywell’s independent physician network to discuss next steps. You can also bring your results to your physician for further testing and treatment options.
When used correctly, the Everlywell trichomoniasis test is over 99% accurate.
What’s Included with Each Everlywell Trichomoniasis Test
- Urine cup
- Urine sample tube
- Biohazard bag
- Prepaid return shipping label
Why Choose the Everlywell Trichomoniasis Test?
- The Everlywell trichomoniasis test is a nucleic amplification test (NAAT) – the gold standard in trich testing – that detects the presence of Trichomonas in urine with a high level of accuracy
- All Everlywell tests are physician-reviewed and approved by an independent, board-certified physician within your state
- All labs working with Everlywell are CLIA-certified, indicating they meet the high standards in order to obtain state and federal certifications, and are submitted to regular inspections
- Everlywell is a HIPAA-compliant company using state-of-the-art, bank-grade encryption to ensure data is securely stored and your data is never sold
- Results are easy to understand and you are provided with guidance towards next steps to achieve health and wellness
- Shipping is free
- The Everlywell trichomoniasis test is available as a one-time purchase or via discounted subscription shipped monthly, quarterly, or semi-annually
- Everlywell accepts FSA/HSA for the trichomoniasis test