HIV Test Details
No matter who you are, if you believe you have been exposed to HIV, it’s important to get tested to ensure you protect those around you and maintain your own wellness. Human immunodeficiency virus is specifically spread through exposure to bodily fluids, whether through sexual intercourse or blood, and it attacks and impairs the body’s immune cells, progressively weakening the immune system. If left unmanaged, HIV can progress to AIDS, which essentially means the immune system is so severely damaged, it is unable to fight off infections, leading to life-threatening illnesses, cancers, and death.
The Everlywell HIV test specifically measures antibodies and antigen related to HIV infection. Shipping is pre-paid both ways and the test is delivered in discreet packaging, with results sent directly to your phone or computer from the secure Everlywell platform.
The HIV test only requires finger prick blood sample collection, meaning it’s quick and virtually painless. Each test includes detailed directions to help guide you, and you’ll also receive access to a customer care team along the way to help with any questions you may have.
Results are easy to understand, and you are provided with additional resources and helpful tips throughout the process. If your results are abnormal, you have the option to connect with the Everlywell physician network at no additional cost to discuss next steps. Your results are also shared in a printable format if you decide to take them to your own primary care physician.
Everlywell only uses CLIA-certified labs, meaning they meet high standards in order to obtain both state and federal certifications and are subject to regular inspections.
What the Everlywell HIV Test Measures and How it Works
The Everlywell HIV Test is specifically aimed at detecting whether or not HIV1/HIV2 differentiation antibodies (Immunoglobulin G) and p24 antigen combination is present or absent. This home test utilizes what’s known as the ELISA technique and is a fourth-generation test, meaning it is extremely sensitive and specific.
Typically, a fourth generation blood test that is performed using a blood draw from a vein can detect HIV infection 18 to 45 says after exposure. With a finger prick, as is available via the Everlywell test, it may take longer to accurately detect HIV – anywhere from 18 to 90 days after exposure.
When you decide to order your at-home HIV test, you simply do so online and it will be shipped directly to you in discreet packaging. You will then need to register your test online with your unique ID and follow the instructions to collect your sample. Once collected, you will place it into the provided biohazard bag, place it in the box, put the box in the included shipping bag, apply the prepaid label, and ship it back to the lab for testing. After analysis, you will be notified when results are ready. If positive, you will need to share results with your healthcare provider to begin antiretroviral therapy as soon as possible for more successful disease management.
When used correctly, the Everlywell HIV test is over 99% accurate. A positive result will need to be confirmed by a healthcare provider via additional testing prior to beginning a treatment plan.
What’s Included with Each Everlywell HIV Test
- Alcohol pad
- Three lancets for blood draw sample
- Blood sample collection card
- Biohazard bag
- Prepaid return shipping label
Why Choose the Everlywell HIV Test?
- The Everlywell HIV test is a highly accurate, extremely sensitive fourth-generation antibody/antigen test
- All Everlywell tests are physician reviewed and approved by an independent, board-certified physician within your state
- All labs working with Everlywell are CLIA-certified, indicating they meet the high standards in order to obtain state and federal certifications, and are submitted to regular inspections
- Everlywell is a HIPAA compliant company using state-of-the-art, bank-grade encryption to ensure data is securely stored and your data is never sold
- Results are easy to understand and you are provided with guidance towards next steps to achieve health and wellness
- Shipping is free
- The Everlywell HIV test is available as a one-time purchase or via discounted subscription shipped monthly, quarterly, or semi-annually
- Everlywell accepts FSA/HSA for the HIV test